Feeding Our Community
One of the most important goals behind the Come To Our Table, South Georgian Bay Community Cookbook was that it support and grow our local food community.
We committed that 10% from each book sold would go back into our community to support local food programs and initiatives that engage youth, improve access to healthy food, and increase food literacy at all age levels.
As of December 31, 2017, thanks to everyone who bought a book (or two) we have raised:
High fives to everyone who has helped make that happen!
With that money we have been able to support a variety of programs and community gardens in the South Georgian Bay region. Below is a list of folks who have benefited from the community fund (more will be added soon).
- SnaX Program at the Collingwood Youth Centre (funded and helped develop)
- GBG Veggie Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Georgian Triangle
- Golden Town Outreach – multiple community gardens in Meaford, Thornbury and area
- Thornbury Community Gardens, new initiative by Free Spirit Gardens and other community partners
- Beaver Valley Community School Garden
- Wasaga Beach Community Gardens
- Teen Gardening Club, Collingwood Public Library
- Fresh Roots Cafe, not-for profit café and catering operation run by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), Owen Sound
- Various Youth Food Programs, CMHA, Owen Sound
- Youth Food Programming, Beaver Valley Outreach, The Blue Mountains